Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Marriage, marriage is what brings us together today

They say that when you get married you grow to become like each other. I attest that this statement is true. I was uploading these winter pictures that we took and I couldn't help but think to myself, "That looks cold. I hate being cold." Then I thought, "that sounds suspiciously like something Melody would say." Indeed it was. So I decided to list here a few quick ways that I've become more like Melody since we were married:

1. Temperatures below 69 degrees Fahrenheit are unbearable and the optimal apartment temperature is somewhere around 95 degrees.

2. Five hours cannot pass in a day without eating something. After that the body enters what we call a "state of emergency."

3. I have to eat breakfast cereal for at least one meal each day. The more cereal the better, actually.

4. Sleeping in is not a crime on a Sunday morning when church doesn't start until late. (Those of you who know me well will realize how drastic this comment is, and Melody works hard everyday to wear me down even further.)

Those are just a few things I thought of now, but I bet I could think of more if I sat down longer to think about it. I think I'll start bringing up this idea over Sunday dinners to see if everyone else sees this kind of transformation after marriage. I'm curious to hear.

4 comments:

Seth and Brittney said...

Oh Seth and I talk about this all the time! In the beginning of our relationship I thought he was a big clumsy because he would run into me on accident when just walking across the room or something... now he NEVER does that, and it seems that there is some sort of incidence EVERYDAY where I bump him or step on him! Fortunately I learned this concept in one of my classes, it's called "structural coupling" and it means the more you get to know someone, and spend time with them the more you adapt to be more like them. It's true! ha ha... good list!

Brandon said...

Structural coupling, eh? Well, I believe it. I think I'm going to come up with a more comprehensive list now that I've put some thought into this. I'd be interested to hear what Melody has to say on the subject, too. Sounds like a stellar family home evening activity, if you ask me. Can't wait...

Paul said...

Sleeping in on Saturdays? Who even is this?

Kim said...

Just wait till you've been married as long as we have, you wont even have to ask what Melly is thinking anymore!!