Sunday, October 18, 2009

Nauvoo

We decided to take a mini vacation this weekend since Brandon finished his Neuro section and I still have a few more vacation days this year. We decided to go to Nauvoo since Brandon has never been there and I haven't been there in years. We made a quick stop in Hannibal, MO to see the hometown of Mark Twain. We were impressed that even the pop machines boasted pictures of Mark Twain.

Next we stopped at Carthage Jail in Carthage, Illinois. It was nice to go on the tour with just a few people and have plenty of time to take pictures. I was impressed at the kindness of the jailer in letting the men stay where it was more comfortable or safe depending on the day. As we were talking the the Sister missionary afterward we found out she is distantly related through the Roberts family. I thought that only happened at BYU but I guess it stands for all Church history sights.

We made our final stop at Nauvoo. On our first night we had time to check out the visitor's center, go to the temple, and see a show called "Rendezvous" at the Cultural Hall, put on by the missionaries in the area. The temple is BEAUTIFUL. It has exquisite murals, lots of wood work, and spiral stair cases.

On Saturday we had a great time visiting many of the sights. We were able to go on the wagon ride by horse through town and later by ox. We also were able to see the brickyard, Lucy Mack Smith's home, the school house, the post office, John Taylor's home, the print shop, the Browning Home and Gunsmith Shop, the Webb Brothers' Blacksmith shop, the Seventies Hall, the Trail of Tears, the Scovil Bakery, the Family Living Center, Heber C. Kimball's home, and the graves of Joseph, Emma, and Hyrum Smith. At that point we were exhausted! Luckily the drive home only took about five hours.

We had a great time and recommend a visit to anyone who hasn't been there recently. You can come visit us while you're at it.

4 comments:

Sus said...

After you left Nauvoo we got a phone call . . . from the Sister Missionary you talked to! She had to tell us she saw our family.

She is Verda Lusk, an aunt to Kirk and I. Her husband, David, is a brother to Kirk's mother, Irene. They having been serving in Nauvoo for just over a year now and always enjoy meeting members of their 'extended' family. Small world, huh. :)

BECKY said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I LOVE THOSE PICTURES!!! I'm SO glad you went and saw so much. I'm incredibly jealous! I have to say... the picture of you two in front of the temple turned out much better than any of us!!!

Ashlee & Christian said...

How fun. This is the best part of not living in Utah, you get to see cool stuff and don't have to go too far. I am glad you guys took a vacation.

Tannie Datwyler said...

It's been a few years since I've been to Nauvoo, but I loved it. :)

I was going to tell you that I really enjoyed the "25 things" post. It was so fun to read.

I was just thinking about you and Becca the other day and remembering being kiddnapped for ice cream on my birthday.